Monday 30 April 2012

Like a Prayer ... Mat

DSC_0034

DSC_0031

DSC_0028

Over a year ago I set about making a handmade 'something' for a friend. I decided upon a simple prayer mat made with linen (excuse the creases) and embelished in true Islamic geometric splendour by nicking some very Japanese motifs to be hand sewn in Sashiko style (with Sashiko thread).

I didn't bother buying a template (because that would be too easy. And who wants an easy life, right?), but instead drew a grid directly onto the fabric using a soluable fabric marker and my trusty quilting ruler and constructed the motifs based on pure maths. Hm. And given that I'm no mathmetician I don't think I did too badly, and once the running stitch started to make up the pattern I was quite pleased with the overall effect.

It isn't perfect, (what is?) but I hope that this gift finds it's mark and the recipient appreciates the love and effort gone into the construction rather than the angular poise and geometric accuracy. And if I know her, I'm sure she will.

Over a year in the making. Finally, this gift is finished....




*** *** ***

19 comments:

  1. that is stunning. Its really gorgeous, a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's been awhile since I got my creative juices flowin'. You inspired me, yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jus' doin' my job ma'am....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Melissa .. Hope the recipient thinks so too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mashallah...it's so beautiful!
    was it hand stitched??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazakillah. Yep. All handsewn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful and heart felt gift. Your friend will be blessed for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou Monika ... Hope she doesn't see the mistakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful handswen.
    Feel free to add "I Love Islam" badge to your website, everyone. Just copy and past code from my blog, simples.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Assalamu alaikum...through tears...I only see BEAUTY and feel LOVE, SubhanAllah http://almiskeenah.com/?p=14046
    Tears of awe and true gratitude. HUGE JazakiLlahu khairas!!!
    Wassalamu alaikum

    ReplyDelete
  11. **blushes** we received your parcel today too! They must have Salamed each other as they crossed in the post :p boys sharpening their teeth with the miswak ;)
    Linen to keep you cool on those long hot days of yours. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Masha-Allah so beautiful ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So so beautiful. And you are so talented... and you said you couldn't do math! ;)
    What a huge project and the love and effort that went into it. :)
    Wow!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou! I can draw... But don't ask me what percentage of that was thread v linen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Debbie, what a lucky friend, that is a beautiful mat! I am sure it will be treasured

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.